Wednesday, May 28, 2014

all natural DIY antiperspirant and deodorant.

my arm pits sweat. a lot. it aint pretty. and was mortifying when I was younger.
this has led me to try literally every brand of deodorant/antiperspirant on the market. without dry success. I was never able to try natural deodorants because they don't have any antiperspirant aspect to them. My wanting to be less wet in my pits has led me to use aluminum based antiperspirants for many years. I know, its HORRIBLE for you, and I even tested high for aluminum in 2006 but wasn't able to let that go, even in the name of health.

on a whim I went to a DIY essential oils deodorant class earlier this year and thought, what the heck, ill try it, and low and behold it worked!!! so then I decided to try and make it myself, and make it even better. so after a few attempts at perfection.... here it is! my all natural amazingly effective recipe. my armpits have NEVER been healthier and drier.
bonus all the ingredients are food grade so its technically edible. lol

this recipe makes abt 2.5 deodorant sticks. so I often double it to get 5 sticks.
I buy my supplies online from amazon, mountain rose herbs, aromatools.com and from the grocery store. just depends on who has what on sale.
I use doTERRA essential oils.
side note: you can use any oils you like, its your deodorant! my favorite combo is grapefruit, cypress, rosemary and lavender. the grapefruit is a well known lymph mover, and your arm pit is basically a mother ship of lymph nodes. the cypress and rosemary are for circulation enhancement which plays a big role in sweating (or not sweating). the lavender has healing qualities with an affinity for skin and is very soothing, esp after shaving. together they are the perfect mix of citrus, savory and floral scents.
other good oils to try depending on your medicinal needs and nose preference, are: frankincense, peppermint, tea tree/melaluca, wild orange, lemon, patchouli, ylangylang, geranium, basil, cedarwood
adjustments:
if you want an even stiffer deodorant, add more beeswax.
thinner, add more coconut oil. 
if you want it to be white, don't use bentonite clay and use more baking soda/arrowroot powder instead.
use mango butter along with the shea and cocoa, or instead of.
happy dry smelly good pits to ya ;)
1 oz beeswax (pellets are easier to melt, but anything cut up small is fine)
2 oz shea butter (either natural or deodorized)
1 oz cocoa butter
2 oz coconut oil
3 T baking soda
1 T bentonite clay
3 T arrow root powder
suggested eo's: may start with less drops and add more as you feel necessary. feel free to add more, too!
15 drops grapefruit essential oil
10 drops cypress essential oil
10 drops lavender essential oil
8 drops rosemary essential oil

~~~ tropical variation~~~ When living in Haiti, the air was HOT 24/7 in the house and my skin was sweaty constantly from every single skin pore, I found that changing the oil butter ratio from 2:2:1 (shea:coconut:cocoa) to 1:1:3 made for a much stiffer stick of deodorant (recall that coconut oil will melt at about 75/76 degrees.) so if you live in a warmer climate, I strongly recommend the 'tropical variation'. 

fyi. 1 oz = 2 Tblspns
I like to measure out my ingredients into bowls.
baking soda, arrow root powder, and bentonite clay
cocoa butter, shea butter and coconut oil
beautiful beeswax
melt together in double broiler the oil and butters. I like to use a glass measuring cup with a pour spout for easiest last step, in a medium pot. stir till completely liquid.



melt the beeswax into the melted oils. stir well.

melt the powders into the liquid and stir evenly.
yours prob wont be quite this dark, this is from a pre perfected recipe.

remove from heat and let cool a bit, stirring helps keep it all evenly mixed.
add essential oils.

stir well.



 
pour into empty deodorant stix.
when pouring, make sure your liquid cocktail left in the pouring cup isn't settling to the bottom or separating. we want all the stix to have equal proportions!

the finished product. go ahead and fill to brimming. they will recede slightly as they cool and solidify.


best to leave cap off for 24 hrs to make sure they have 'dried' properly all the way through. but they will be solid enough to cap and transport in 30 mins or less.

I have not had any problems with my clothes being stained. my arm pits got a bit tinged (tan) from the bentonite clay when I was using higher amts of it in my recipe. I have not had any problems with it melting or traveling.

23 comments:

  1. cool! What is the purpose of the clay? Also, why three different butters/oil? can I cut out the cocoa butter and if so, how does that change the ratio for a firm stick?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the cocoa butter is the firmest of the three, so add more beeswax, the shea and coconut are really soft and you'll end up with more of a paste. it's all about preference!
      the clay acts as an antiperspirant/absorption factor. as does the arrowroot powder

      Delete
    2. I never believed that their could be any complete cure for Herpes 2, Mrs JANE introduce me to DR.ehiaguna a herbal doctor, who brought him back to life again. so i had to try it too and you can,t believe that in just two weeks i started using the herbal medicine he sent to me i was perfectly ok and . Right now i can tell you that few months now i have not had any symptoms of Herpes and i have just went for text last week and the doctor confirmed that there is no trace of any Herpes in my body system. Glory be to God for leading me to this genuine DR.ehiaguna I am so happy as i am sharing this testimony. My advice to you all who thinks that their is no cure for HSV that is Not true ,just contact him and get cure from DR.ehiaguna via his Email drehiaguna@gmail.com and you will be free and free forever, Try it and you will not regret it because it truly works. One thing i have come to realize is that you never know how true it is until you try...email him drehiaguna@gmail.com.. OR WhatsApp +2348073908953 THIS IS THE TYPE OF HERBAL MEDICATION HE HAVE1 Cancer 2 Hiv 3 Low sperm count 4 Barrenness 5 Hvp 6 Herpes 7 Genital Wart 8 Rare disease 9 Hepatitis 10 Syphilis 11 DiabetesGod bless you sir for your good work that you done.....

      Delete
  2. Hi! I have used Baking Soda in previous recipes and it irritates my skin. Any suggestion on how to replace the baking soda? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Does that mean those of us with baking soda allergies will have to use 6 Tbs of arrowroot powder (3 subbed for baking soda) or use just the 3 Tbs of arrowroot powder and take the loss on the baking soda? Living in Arizona - and the summer already starting here - I am DESPERATE to keep the sweat at bay, but keep my armpits happy and free from aluminum and baking soda. Thanks!

      Delete
    2. you do want to get the balance of liquid to dry, so maybe instead of adding THAT much more arrowroot, cut back in equal ratio portions on your butters/oils.

      Delete
  3. Corn starch can substitute baking soda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Does T mean Teaspoon or Tablespoon?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I’m so excited to have found your recipe! I’ve been using “Native” antiperspirant and love it...but it’s sooo expensive and I also just found out they were bought out by Proctor & Gamble! :(. I’d been searching for a recipe that includes similar ingredients to theirs...and I think I may have just found the perfect “clone” in yours. Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I made this recipe and let me tell you......I will NEVER use a different one. This truly is awesome. I do not smell at all with this, except for the lovely EO's added to it. It doesn't mark my clothes in any way, no sensitivity to it thus far. I am beyond pleased with this. I will say next time I might try to figure out which ingredient (possibly the bees wax) will firm it up just a tad, but that is personal preference and by no means a slam towards this recipe. As I stated before this is awesome and believe me you'll love it....go ahead make it, it's that good :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Could kaolin clay be used in place of the bentonite clay for whiteness?

    ReplyDelete
  8. What’s a good essential oil combination for men’s deodorant?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. earthy and woodsy oils mixed with some citrus - sandalwood, cedarwood, cypress, frankincense, with an orange or grapefruit would be yummy! always personal preference!

      Delete
  9. Geranium, cedar wood and basil!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So I made it following your recipe for a warmer climate since I live in New Mexico. I have found that it does mark my clothes, as well as leave a very strange smell on my skin, and doesn't help much with sweating at all. I am wondering if you have any suggestions at all? or if anyone else found this and did something tho change the recipe or add a different oil etc... I have tried so many things and am feeling frustrated at this point.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hmmm, maybe try applying some straight up tea tree oil, or other non irritating eo to your pits, then apply the deodorant. see if that doesn't curb the smell. remember that smell in sweat is actually the bacteria on the skin, not the sweat itself. it could also be the beeswax - for the mark on your clothes too, maybe try a different type of bees wax and exchange the bentonite clay for arrowroot powder and see what that does? sorry to hear of your frustration, I feel ya though. I do recall in Haiti when I was sweating from every pore and had sweat running down my cleavage and pooling in my belly button, that antiperspirant at that point didn't really matter. lol keep playing with ingredients and tweaking things, give away the stix as gifts if it doesn't work for you, and just keep trying. every body is different.

      Delete
  11. I'm here to testify about the great work Dr ogden did for me. I have been suffering from (HERPES) disease for the past 5 years and had constant pain, especially in my knees. During the first year,I had faith in God that i would be healed someday.This disease started circulating all over my body and i have been taking treatment from my doctor, few weeks ago i came across a testimony of one lady on the internet testifying about a Man called Dr ogden on how he cured her from Herpes Simplex Virus. And she also gave the email address of this man and advise anybody to contact him for help for any kind of sickness that he would be of help,so I emailed him on drogdentestimony@gmail.com telling him about my (HERPES Virus) he told me not to worry that i was going to be cured!! Well i never believed it,, well after all the procedures and remedy given to me by this man few weeks later i started experiencing changes all over me as Dr ogden assured me that i will be cured,after some time i went to my doctor to confirmed if i have be finally healed behold it was TRUE, So friends my advise is if you have such sickness or any other at all you can contact Dr ogden via email drogdentestimony@gmail.com You can also call or whatsApp his telephone number on +2348117963221.Thanks once again Dr ogden

    ReplyDelete
  12. How do you store the sticks until you are ready to use them?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I’m making this now and just realized I dont know if your measurements for ounces are weight or volume! Can you clarify?

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm allergic to any commercial deodorant that works.I finally found this recipe end it's been a godsend. It works and and doesn't cause allergic reactions. It did start some mild itching, but I cut back on the baking soda voila any irritation disappeared.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I never believed that their could be any complete cure for Herpes 2, Mrs JANE introduce me to DR.ehiaguna a herbal doctor, who brought him back to life again. so i had to try it too and you can,t believe that in just two weeks i started using the herbal medicine he sent to me i was perfectly ok and . Right now i can tell you that few months now i have not had any symptoms of Herpes and i have just went for text last week and the doctor confirmed that there is no trace of any Herpes in my body system. Glory be to God for leading me to this genuine DR.ehiaguna I am so happy as i am sharing this testimony. My advice to you all who thinks that their is no cure for HSV that is Not true ,just contact him and get cure from DR.ehiaguna via his Email drehiaguna@gmail.com and you will be free and free forever, Try it and you will not regret it because it truly works. One thing i have come to realize is that you never know how true it is until you try...email him drehiaguna@gmail.com.. OR WhatsApp +2348073908953 THIS IS THE TYPE OF HERBAL MEDICATION HE HAVE1 Cancer 2 Hiv 3 Low sperm count 4 Barrenness 5 Hvp 6 Herpes 7 Genital Wart 8 Rare disease 9 Hepatitis 10 Syphilis 11 DiabetesGod bless you sir for your good work that you done.....

    ReplyDelete

Whatcha Cookin Good Lookin?